Two dudes at coffee break.
'Hey, where were you this morning? Half day off, is it?'
'Yeah, had taken an off. Came here after lunch.'
'Why, what happened? You ill or something?'
'Oh, nothing of that sort. I was reading a book, couldn't put it down.'
'What! You didn't come to work this morning because you were reading a book???'
'No. I didn't come to work this morning because I couldn't put the book down.'
'Insane! Didn't think you were such a bookworm.'
'Yeah, I thought it was insane too! I've never come across a book that held my attention like this.'
'So which book was it? The Da Vinci Code?'
'No.'
'Oh, I know. The immortals of Meluha. I've heard that's quite action-packed.'
'No, not that.'
'Then? Sidney Sheldon? Ludlum? Umm..Sherlock holmes? Harry Potter?'
'No, dude.'
'OK, those are all the authors I know. Now out with it.'
'Love story.'
'What!?!? Duuuuuuude!'
'What?'
'Love story? That's book's for chicks da!'
'No, it's actually a myth that it's only for women. It's author is a guy. you know. Eric Segal. And it's from a man's perspective. Full guy stuff.'
'Bro. Cars are guy stuff. AK47s are guy stuff. This, this is full gay stuff.'
'Yeah, that's true too. But here the protagonist is a guy, and he narrates what happened to him. So see, it's not a chick book.'
'Yeah, but it's about love. And feelings. And all that crap.'
'OK, I agree that as the title suggests, it is a love story. And most of us are put off by the title itself. But the writing's actually very witty, filled with humour.'
'Whatever dude. Tell me one thing. Please tell me you didn't cry in the end.'
'Ummm, I may have teared up a little. Couldn't help it. But wait a minute. How did you know the ending's tragic? You've also read the book!'
'No way! I know that all chick books and movies have teary endings. Been observing my girlfriend. She cries at the end of every Daniele Steele book, every chick flick. But that's beside the point. Dude, you cried! What the truck!'
'Couldn't help getting emotional! The endings beautiful. Its amazing that this is Segal's first book. It's so well written!'
'Some free advice bro. If I were you, I wouldn't say these things publicly. You haven't told this to your boss right? The reason for your leave?'
'Mad or what! I told my boss I had a cold.'
'Good for you. Chal, I got to get back to work. Got a release today.'
'Ok, see you tomorrow then. Bye.'
**********************
Most folks have heard about 'Love story' - either the book, or the movie or both. Some people have actually read it. I've read it 3 times. That was easy, the books only some hundred odd pages. The last time I read it, something dawned on me. Yes, the book's about love, romance, feeling, all that. Yes, the ending is heart breaking, makes you cry. But what makes the book really special is the humour. Sometimes deadpan, sometimes sarcastic. It's awesome. And the book is not chicklit. Guys can read it too, it's got plenty of 'guy stuff'.
In fact, anyone who's in love, or has been in love, will identify with the story. And for me, that's everyone over the age of 20 - everyone has a love story, whether they admit it to themselves or not.
By the way...
There's a movie called 'Love Story'(1970) based on the book. Haven't seen it yet, but I hear it's pretty good.
Also, http://www.altfg.com/blog/hollywood/erich-segal-dies-love-story-499/
loved it... thought the book was crap n didnt bother reading it...i guess m gonna pick it up soon now...
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDeleteYeah, so read the book. I was an instant fan :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey - Its a nice post you wrote here. I landed here searching for something else and was engrossed by the initial narrative - its very real and I could perceive myself in that discussion, but sadly on the side that makes fun of love stories.
ReplyDeleteI have not read the book because I had watched the movie, just by chance, and it was long back that I dont remember the ending now. Also I forgot if I cried or not.
The reason I wanted to leave a comment was to highlight the aspect of love-bug which bites even the youngest of us. I recently took my 7-year old nephew to this movie called Tangled. He was troubling his mom a lot so I had to take him out just to keep him occupied. When the movie started, we both realized it was a princess movie and then we looked back to find the theater filled with girl kids. I was still fine, but my nephew was grossly embarassed. The 7-year old suddenly got a pang of masculinity and shot back at me for getting him to a girly movie. Finally, he agreed to watch after I convinced him that this would be a secret and I would not tell anyone about him watching it. For next 90 mins, I didnt hear a word from the guy. A week after the movie, I get a call from him saying he wants a DVD of it and then I find that he has been drawing Rapunzel pictures in his notebook. The kid has fallen in love with Rapunzel. Only Eric Segal could have predicted that I suppose!
Good post! Keep it up.
How cute!
ReplyDeleteThe movie 'Love Story' was good.. it was emotional and all, but it lacked the humour and trivia that Segal brought to the book. In many ways, the movie is girlier, I think. :)
Oh god! so I ended up watching a girly movie? thank god I was alone at home. Plz dont tell anybody. Let it be a secret plz :)
ReplyDeleteYeah you did! But your secret's safe with me :)
ReplyDelete