Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The girl with the dragon tattoo - book review



Financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist is facing libel charges from a industrial head honcho and is facing a fine and three months in jail. He is offered a gig by semi-retired industrialist Henrik Vanger whose great-niece Harriet Vanger disappeared without a trace 36 years ago. Blomkvist is expected to investigate and find the Harriet's murderer, who Vanger is convinced is one of the family. In his quest, he is joined by Lisbeth Salander, a 24-year-old computer hacker, ruthless, antisocial, a survivor.

I've had some friends ask me, ' I don't read much, but would like to start. What's a good beginner novel for me?' Sometimes I josh them by suggesting Dr.Seuss or Chandamama(Hehe!) but almost always I reply 'The Da Vinci Code'. As far as starter novels go, this book has it all - a fast pace, engaging characters, action-packed story and lotsa mystery. What's more, it's popular, thanks to the movie.

I believe that in most cases a person's (especially one who doesn't have the reading habit from childhood) interest in reading is set by the first book he/she reads. Sadly, I've seen many friends give up on books after their first attempt - either because the story was too long/meandering/senti, or because the prose was too hi-fi/flowery, or even because the subject was too taboo/shocking/eww.

It's precisely because of this reason that I would hesitate to recommend 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' as a first novel. The story is thrilling and fast paced. The characters, especially of Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist, are quirky, dark and magnetic. There's a lot of intrigue. It's all very, very interesting. I admit - I couldn't put the book down easily once I picked it up. Just like my friend Suni told me when she recommended the book.

One of the reasons why a novice reader might be put off - the story is set in Sweden. That's not bad, except that the names, places- they all seemed annoyingly foreign. There were also some unintelligible Swedish references here and there. Now I don't usually mind interrupting my reading to look up a reference I don't get. But not everybody does. Especially if this is their first book. But this challenge is mild and can be overcome with some effort and patience.

The real reason is that the book is so damn disturbing. Disturbing beyond words. Graphic, violent. I once had recommended 'God of small things' to a friend(who had a good reading habit, by the way) and she was so shocked she didn't speak to me for a while. This book is waaaaaaaay more dark than that. I have my doubts about watching the movie now. I mean, imagine watching that.

Hell. I know I'm going to watch the movie. That's the reason I read the book in the first place. I'll just have to brace myself.

In summary - very good read, but definitely not for the weak-hearted.

3 comments:

  1. AA - wouldn't Chetan Bhagat be an ok novel for a first timer? Its light, down to earth in its language, contemporary in its treatment and nothing to be taken seriously about. I would suggest 'Five Point Someone' with a disclaimer - read it, close it, forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bingo! 5.someone is a good start, although Bhagat's other novels don't quite match up.. I also recommend some of Jeffry Archer's books..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read the book. Liked the movie though (Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara)... Watch the movie and lemme know if the book better or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete