I watched Saawariya out of curiosity. People were talking about how bad it was, but I wanted to see just how Bhansali, the man who'd made Khamoshi, and Hum dil de chuke sanam, (two movies I cry over every time I watch them,) could screw up a love story. I was duly punished for my curiosity, it seemed. The movie, with it's soppy storyline, and lukewarm acting, was just plain bad. The only saving grace was the set; dark, dramatic, beautiful.
Then came Black. Oh, heart tugging Black! There I was again, like in old times, crying silently in the cinema hall. But I soon discovered a flaw; Black was not worth watching a second time. It just didn't evoke the same raw emotions again, as previous Bhansali films still do.
I watched Guzaarish because of a friend of mine, a die-hard Hrithik fan. If not for her, I'd have probably watched HP7. Despite the anticipation and hype around the movie, because it starred Hrithik and Ash and was by Bhansali, I didn't really care much for it.
Two things impressed me strongly in the movie:
One. Goa, beautiful, green Goa! How can it be that I've not yet been there? This was not the Goa that tourists see, no beaches, no churches, bazaars... It was a green blanket, surrounded by blue waters, dotted with old, sedate bungalows. Lovely cinematography indeed.
Two. Aishwarya Rai Bachan. I've been late in fully acknowledging her acting prowess, but better late than never. She's just... I have no words. Watch Guzaarish for her, if not for anything else. Demurely clad from head to foot in that lovely long gown, her shawl about her, her long plaited hair, rose tucked behind her ear, she looks and acts the part of the strict, disciplined caretaker. Only her eyes tell a tale of love, grief and passion; they're amazing to watch. Especially in the flamenco number.
Hrithik has, of course, put in a stalwart performance. I loved the cute, curly haired new guy Aditya; really endearing fella. The plot is tight, holds you captivated through it's ups and downs. The music is not mind-blowing, but it's pleasant and right for the story. I was very surprised to hear that Bhansali directed the music!
The question Guzaarish left me with, maybe left a lot of people with is: Why is it that, when I have a right to live they way I want to, I don't have a right to die the way I want to? I'm outspokenly against suicide. But in case of Venaktesh, Bob Dent, countless others who suffer like I've never suffered? Do I have the gall to opine about them, when I'm not at all aware of the life they've led? When Ethan Mascarenas was vote hunting on euthanasia at his radio show yesterday, a silent 'Yes' formed in my mind. I realized that while I'm not for euthanasia, I'n not against it either. All arguments aside, it's his life, it's his choice. Simple.
I looked up Euthanasia on the internet after coming home. Amongst the usual should-they-shouldn't-they arguments, I found this article of hope: http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/jul/08071111.html
On Ash: Only her eyes tell a tale of love: do u think only "a"... :D
ReplyDeleteoway! welcome back to d blogging world anamika. :) and thanks for d movie review. decided it's not my type. ;)
ReplyDeletebtw, don't fret about not having been to Goa... no big deal. so to say, neither have I...
Jani: Huh? Only a what?
ReplyDeleteAbhi: Thanks! Why do you think it's not your type? And not having been to Goa when everybody around me has.. That's bad.. My stomach churns with envy! :)